Thursday, March 15, 2007

20something column: Not a morning person

By AMANDA BENSEN
Published in The Post-Star (Go)
March 15, 2007

I'm not a morning person. It must be biological, because I've had plenty of behavioral training to the contrary.

My high school was about 30 miles away, which meant I had to leave the house by 7:15 a.m., and I was usually still staring blankly at my closet around that time. It feels like my brain doesn't fully switch on before the hours hit double digits.

My mother tried the cheerful drill sergeant approach -- marching into my room, giving the blankets and window shade a vicious tug as she sang ditties like "Good Morning, Good Morning," and "Rise and Shine" -- but that only made me more determined to hide my head under a pillow.

Friends tried the gentle, coaxing approach, especially after I nearly gave one of them a bloody nose as I tried to shoo away the nasty noise disturbing my slumber. They laughed and rolled their eyes on Sunday mornings when I was late for youth group -- quite a feat since it took place in my own living room.

Realizing that I was developing a reputation for being lazy, I tried setting my alarm to a radio station that hosted a screaming fire-and-brimstone preacher in the early morning time slot. That worked pretty well, although I still dawdled in the stage between getting out of bed and getting out the door. Fortunately, I was a good student and my teachers usually let the tardiness slide.

These days, I have plenty to incentive to get up at a reasonable hour. I have a day job, and I usually look forward to going to it, unlike school. It helps that I live on a street with alternate-side parking that switches at 8 a.m. every day, and a truly dedicated parking enforcement official who begins his patrol about 15 minutes later (thanks, City Hall, you keep me on my toes).

I still love lazy mornings, but I've grown up enough to realize that some things are more important. Last weekend, I went to visit some old friends and their 3-year-old daughter, who is the closest thing I have to a niece.I slept on their couch -- or tried.

That cup of coffee after dinner probably wasn't such a good idea, and their cat kept yowling. I think I finally fell asleep about 3 a.m., which was actually 4 a.m. because of the daylight savings time change.

About three hours later, a little voice pierced my dreams from the upstairs hallway:"It's da mornin!" the 3-year-old announced, as though delivering a present.

Her dad brought her down to the kitchen for breakfast, pointing out the lump on the couch with a whisper as they passed. He offered her a bowl of cereal.

"No thanks, Daddy, cereal is noisy, and she's sleeping," she responded at full volume.

I smiled, and got up.

Amanda Bensen is a features reporter for The Post-Star. She tried unsuccessfully to wake up early this morning to write this column.

1 comment:

Jason Smith said...

I'm saving this one for Alanna to read when she's older. :) Ah, life with morning people- it does teach you things. ~K